Friday, August 12, 2005

The State and Good Happenings

AHHHHHH! My older one was in kita yesterday, the first day in two weeks, so I had Mama Break Time. What this meant was: I could acknowledge the presence of my younger daughter, I got to start the laundry excavation process, I went grocery shopping and actually contemplated what I was buying (if I need it, how much it costs, if it fits into meal plans, etc.), I ate lunch, I checked my email, and I even brushed my hair. It was amazing.

A little background info here on why I have been keeping my daughter home so much. The city of Berlin is broke. The decided to do away with the Vorschule program in public schools (kindergarten). That means the kitas (preschools) are supposed to do this job now for the five year olds. Well, call me Uptight Mama, but I really think (unlike a lot of people around here these days) that kids in this age should/can/are interested in beginning to read. So, I am kind of doing some heavy supplementation, homeschooling, whatever you would call it. Teaching a child how to read is pretty fascinating stuff. I look forward to seeing how it goes. Any tips on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

While researching "teaching children how to read," I also read a lot about homeschooling. I have also heard that homeschooling isn't allowed in Germany. It is very hard for people to slip through the cracks around here. The state also sent a dentist to the kita to check all the children's teeth. You could opt out if you wanted...but still.

Which reminds me of the visit I got from the Jugend Amt after my second child was born. That was total insanity man. First, I had gotten this letter from them saying they come around to houses of new parents to have a little check and that my appointment was on such and such a day at this time. There again was the option to cancel. Well, everyone knows that a new breastfeeding mama doesn't have two brain cells to rub together much less actually remember things like appointments or the option to cancel them. So that day and time came. My husband had taken the older one to kita, and I was enjoying Mama Sleeping In Time which happens basically never. Me and the new baby were nestled, slumbering, all super cozy...and then the door bell rings. I answered with the intercom, "Hallo?" It was Frau So and So from the Jugend Amt. Oh my God! I had totally forgotten to cancel that frickin' appointment. And not only that, the hallway was filled with the recycling I was gonna take out that day (meaning it was FILLED with TRASH) My hair looked like that of a rare, exotic bird. My t-shirt was covered in breast milk stains. My baby had a poopy morning diaper. The dirty dishes from the night before were PILED in the sink. This scene was not looking good folks. So I went to the door, said hello and shook hands confidently as though my hair were always styled this way, and explained that I had received her letter, and had intended to cancel the appointment, but had forgotten. She basically said, well, I'm here now, so let's have a look. So, I took a deep breath and let her into my TRASHED house and all these thoughts of how they were gonna take away my baby were running through my head. We went into the living room and sat down. We chatted a little while (she basically asked me a thousand questions about why I'm in Germany, am I married, what does my husband do, what do I do, where my fifth cousins live, etc.). Then she had a look at the baby and asked me about twenty more questions. Then she asked if I had enrolled in my rückbildungs class yet, as though that were a requirement (for those of you that don't know, this is basically a post-pregnancy aerobics class that most people take to get their bodies back into shape...the fact that it is basically standard is a bit creepy, but when in Rome...) . She also asked if I had enrolled my baby into a Pekip course, again as though it were a requirement, but THAT IS WHERE I FLIPPIN' DREW THE LINE. I said maybe I will, maybe I won't. The lady blabbed her dang face off for another 20 minutes and finally left me in peace in my filthy pigsty. Anyways, moral of the story: Cancel that appointment if you get one of those letters!

So those cracks. No slippin' through, ladies and gentlemen. They are all up in everyone's business, I tell you. Good: Your children will have their teeth checked even if you are a pothead fokker. Bad: Remaining anonymous and having the freedom to hide if you want doesn't exist, neither does homeschooling if you feel the schools are inadequate or don't suit your child's needs.


So, onto food. Last night we went to a pretty decent Mexican restaurant with some friends. It is called something like Coronita right by the Schlessisches (sssshhhleesishsish) Tor UBahn. I had the enchiladas with meat. They were rockin' and very authentic. We were a little puzzled by the red beets in my friends vegetarian burrito, however. Afterwards, we went to this awesome ice cream stand around the corner near Görlitzer Park. Now this place is worth leaving your kiez for. They had statues, and fancy tropical plants, and music, and even matching outfits and hats. It was a pretty happenin' Friday night, ice cream scene. All in all, nice evening. We have, by the way, mastered the art of dining out with two kids. Start early, leave early. Home by 8:00, everyone's happy. Easy.

Another good experience yesterday: I went to the post office, and the lady behind the counter made a real, bonafide joke that made me laugh my ass off. It was so awesome I could have jumped the counter and kissed her. For the sake of this post's length, however, I'll spare you the joke. The important part is that she made one. Amazing.

And my last and final great thing that happened yesterday, was that I collected enough hearts at the Kaisers supermarket to get TWO FREE BOWLS! Wahoo! You see, they give you these little heart stickers when you buy something (the more you spend, the more hearts you get of course). Then, you fill up these little sheets with them (this took me awhile to figure out...I thought they were for my daughter's sticker book for the longest time = Mama Moron), and when you get 40 you get a free müseli bowl. If you get more, you can get different things too, but I was after those little white bowls from the start.

Okay, enough is enough already. Goodnight.

11 Comments:

Blogger christina said...

Wow, I never got a letter from the Jugendamt when I had my babies. Is this a new thing? It would have freaked me out to have someone poking around in my business. Don't let them push you into anything.

The schools around here (Lower Saxony)still have some kind of a "Schulkindergarten" for kids who aren't quite ready for school, but it all depends if they have enough kids that year and I don't think they teach them much anyway. You can forget the Kitas for teaching anything at all. Ours are *finally* starting out with some new programs to prepare the kids for school. In my opinion there's not nearly enough co-operation between the Kitas and public schools and it really shows when kids enter first grade. Germans are always criticizing other countries for starting their children in school so early, saying that it's bad for them, but just look at the state of the German education system.

And yes, homeschooling is illegal in Germany. All children 6 yrs old or over are "Schulpflichtig" and *must* be registered at school. Which is not to say that you can't give them a head start at home. I used "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons" to teach my kids to read in English. They caught on pretty fast. The book uses phonics, not whole word recognition so it depends what method you like the best.

Way to go on collecting those hearts! I keep losing my little stamps from Edeka or forgetting to ask for them and will probably never collect enough to get anything.

1:54 PM  
Blogger mama jens said...

Hi Christina,

I don't know if this Jugendamt thing is new or not. I asked around and a few people have gotten that letter as well. I didn't get it with my first child. Maybe it is just a random check?

And, yeah, the school situation is disappointing. I think there is too much of a jump from the kita, where anything goes, to school, where they are suddenly expected to sit still and learn. It is really important to have something inbetween to sort of ease them it, I think.

And thanks for the learning-how-to-read tip. I'll check it out. I have been just using the phonics approach myself, thinking it makes more sense for children to learn all the parts so that they can deal with unfamiliar words on their own.

Have a nice Sunday!

2:03 PM  
Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

I wanna know the joke!!!

BTW, I've got a full page of the hearts from Kaiser's already and the second one's filling up very quicky, which means: Two sets of the small service!!!

7:26 PM  
Blogger Berlinbound said...

The more I read about schooling in Germany the more I think a private International school may be the answer ...

Great post ...

Best,
Richard

8:10 PM  
Blogger mama jens said...

Richard, There are two public international schools here in Berlin that have excellent reputations. One is the JFK School in Zehlendorf, and the other is the Berlin State International School in Wilmersdorf. You have some time before you have to worry about that, but if you move to Berlin those would be good ones to check out. There are private Intl. schools as well - expensive but also have good reputations.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

@Mamajens on your comment about the foreign ads on my blog: Well, no...I don't think they put up the ads because there are lot of foreigners living in that area...I think it's just a new trend in Munich putting up cool stuff...and to give visitors a 'feel at home' kinda feeling...well, that's my wild guess, but I don't think that it had anything to do with people living around here.

9:15 AM  
Blogger mama jens said...

Interesting. I really like that. Its very futuristic in a global culture sort of way. Very very nice.

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John F. Kennedy School in Zehlendorf will still have their forschule (sic?) this year.

Here's a great book for parents about teaching kids to read.
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201127490/qid=1124128273/sr=8-7/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i7_xgl/028-0840067-4705356

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In case the entire URL didn't get posted, here's the title

Raising Lifelong Learners: A Parent's Guide by Lucy Calkins

6:55 PM  
Blogger mama jens said...

Joe - Thats true. The JFK School is the only public school I think to keep the Vorschule program - their funding must be different. We actually tried to get a space there, but all the places were filled by the four groups they give priority to. Believe it or not, two American parents actually work against a child in terms of priority. And thanks for the reading tip!!

7:38 PM  
Blogger Berlinbound said...

Thanks for the schooling suggestions ...

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home