Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Health Food

Wow...its been awhile since my last post. Its been busy around here, I tell you. To find the time to do something as recreational as blogging is quite a challenge, seeing as how I have thousands of kids and all. The first thing my husband says every morning when we awake to the little one sticking her tiny pointer finger in our nostrils is "Geez, why do we have so many kids...?" The days are long and repetitive and busy.

The weather has been wacky, but that is nothing too unusual. It feels strange to wear a jacket at the end of July, but I guess I've experienced much weirder things. Still, even though it has been cold and rainy, there is that August stickiness in the air.

The blueberries are good and fat and cheap right now, which is seriously exciting as far as I'm concerned. Today I bought tons of them and washed them and froze them. I am really craving blueberry pancakes at the moment, and these big blueberries are perfect. The little, very purpley ones are nice too, but these big ones with the white, seedy centers which turn all purple when baked are even better. And I let go of one final American thing - American pancake syrup. I have replaced it with proper Canadian maple syrup. In addition to the positive political feeling I get from this switch, the taste is just incredibly better.

Ingredients of Canadian Maple Syrup: Maple Syrup

Ingredients of Aunt Jemima Lite: water, high fructose corn syrup, sugar syrup, cellulose gum, salt, caramel color, sorbic acid, sodium benzoate, natural and artificial flavors, sodium hexametaphosphate.

And here is where I become really scared about the idea of living in the states. Its not just the politics folks, its the food. What has become of the American food? American supermarkets with all the packaged stuff with a list of ingredients that takes 10 minutes to read is just plain scary. The last time we were in the U.S., one relative gave my daughter a package of those goldfish crackers. Since my daughter has a peanut allergy, we have to read all the ingredient labels carefully. Well, the list on this box of goldfish took up the whole side of the box. A good rule to follow: If you see a list that long, it isn't safe to feed it to your children, peanut allergy or no peanut allergy. Hopefully, when/if we move, we can figure out a way to remain relatively healthy.

Speaking of healthy, I went to the cinema at Potsdamer Platz a couple of weekends ago, which was such an amazing Mama Jens free time treat. The best part of the experience was learning that they sell Ben and Jerry's ice cream there, and, as is the case with Haagen Daaz, I simply couldn't resist. The chocolate brownie madness, or whatever its called, just rocks.

Sleepy now. More later...

3 Comments:

Blogger christina said...

Canadian maple syrup is definitely *the best*, and I'm not just saying that because I'm Canadian. :-) There are no substitutes.

And the blueberries are fabulous righ now, aren't they?

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just this morning I asked my little son after he woke up at 5 pm: why can't you get up a little later, like 6 pm? We all need sleep.

Nice blog though. Keep posting!

I just started.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Berlinbound said...

Glad to see you back at the blog - you're a terrific writer. I look forward to testing your recipes too!
Best,
Richard

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home