Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Biscotti and Kinder Museum

Okay, the biscotti recipe passed the Mama Jens quality control (I'm eating the last little wedge with some tea at the moment), so here you go:

Anything Goes Biscotti
1 egg
100 g powdered sugar
vanilla (use your best judgement here - I think a teaspoon or two would do)
50 g chopped almonds, toasted (hazelnuts, walnuts, your husband's nuts...they all work fine here)
50 g good dark chocolate (get fancy here, guys - lindt, imported real American chocolate chips, etc.)
50 g pinenuts (this is where you can get creative, and frankly i would recommend that as opposed to pinenuts, which just sound downright nasty. so get funky! use studentenfutter - i think that is trail mix in english even though it sounds like it should be hamster pellets, or some museli, raisins, whatever)
125 g flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

The batter will be very lumpy and crumbly. Just shape it into a ball and then flatten it out in a sort of loaf form on parchment paper. Bake 25 minutes at about 200 degrees celsius. Cut into slices and bake 10-15 minutes more. Super Baking Goddess told me that it should be just on the verge of burnt, BUT DON'T BURN IT, like I did (not that that affected my eating it). You don't want the stuff to be soft. And remember that it will get harder when it cools too. Hmmm...my husband's Total Prevert mind is seeping into mine through semiosmosismeitosis.

About the grams, I just don't know what to say. Use your intuition here. It was kind of like a half a cup of everything. I am no Mama Mathematician, I assure you me, but I realize that a cup is about volume and a gram is about weight. So whatever. The cool thing about recipes like this (and quiche) is that they seem to be pretty open to interpretation, experience, variation, and a whole range of just plain fucking up. Enjoy.

Today, after I spent 10 minutes making 8 attempts to squeeze my car into an itty bitty parallel parking spot (just kidding, it wasn't itty bitty, I am just sometimes Mama Parking Moron) we met some friends at the MACH Mit! Kinder Museum http://www.kindermuseumberlin.de/ in Prenzlauer Berg. What a great place. It is a former church converted into a hands-on children's museum. We've been pretty much loyal fans since we moved here. They have new exhibitions every couple of months with different themes, but the main attraction is this massive, wooden maze that reaches the ceiling (a couple of stories) in which the children can spend a couple of hours running about, chasing each other through, etc. There is also a cafe there for the Mamas and Papas to have a coffee in while their little wonders expend energy and learn about space.

Have a good night!



3 Comments:

Blogger Berlinbound said...

I have been longing for a good biscotti since I moved into this cabin for the summer ... I did find a little bakery in town that makes them - but your recipe sounds yummmy. And my brother arrives today for an extended visit so another set of paws to deal with His Holiness should allow me some time to get cookin!
Thanks for the recipe Jen ... Sleep well.
Richard

4:23 PM  
Blogger christina said...

Thanks for the recipe! I'll be making those soon.

I, too, am a parking moron which is one reason why I don't drive much.

8:13 PM  
Blogger taz said...

I tried out the recipe last night using Green and Blacks organic dark chocolate. The biscotti turned out really well and I'm hardly a "Domestic Goddess" by any stretch of the imagination!
Thanks for the recipe.

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home