Sunday, August 07, 2005

Food and Entertainment

Husband out. Children slumbering sweetly. Mama blogs! Its a good break from my obsessive- compulsive online real estate searching. Holy toledo. So here are a couple of random ones for you:

Today, I watched Drama Queen Number One (the five year old) watch herself cry in the mirror. This was amazing. I decided, not necessarily because of the crying, that I want to take her to the Staatsballett to see the performance of Cinderella. www.staatsballett-berlin.de/

I made a mean Bread Pudding tonight.

Mean Bread Pudding
Take about four or five slices of bread and cut into squares. Whole wheat, soft sandwhich bread works well here...So does stale bread and french bread. Arrange the bread cubes and some raisins and almonds and whatever else you want in a baking dish (like a bread loaf pan). In a separate bowl mix together about 4 eggs, 2 and 1/4 cups milk, about a tablespoon of cinnamon, a couple of scoops of sugar (about 1/2 cup), a dash of nutmeg, and a couple of teaspoons of vanilla. Pour this mixture over the bread cubes and bake in the oven for about 45 or 50 minutes until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm with vanilla sauce or milk.

And speaking of dessert, Anne Blume on Kollwitz Str. wins my award for best food and desserts and coffee and atmosphere at the moment. Sitting outside there among all the tall flowering plants is so lovely. The selection of cakes is like Mama Jens heaven, and the other food is also great. There are high chairs, a changing table, and even a little stash (at child eye-level) of toys and books for the little ones. My daughter loves to order the milchreis with warm blueberries (but the blueberries must be cold and on the side), which comes in a huge, powdered-sugar dusted bowl that takes up half the table. I dig the schinken and alpkäse crepes. Oh yeah, and there's a beautiful flower shop next door and then a bakery next door to that. You can order all kinds of cakes there. Amazing!

This afternoon I went to the cinema with a friend. Mama Free Time. Boy oh boy was that satisfying. I realize though how jumpy I am. Every little rattle of the car makes me turn around in panic to see who is doing what to whom. It takes awhile to relax and realize you only have to worry about your own safety when you're ohne kinder. I saw A Love Song for Bobby Long. It made me want to live in the states...not sure why though. I think it is about that range of experience thing again. America is just so flippin' wild. There is a lot of crazy stuff going on there.

And last night, we rented Ray, the film about Ray Charles. Excellent. The little baby really made me want to have another baby. Oh lordy.

I really appreciate how films are so successful in taking you completely out of your reality. Good, healthy Mama Medicine.

4 Comments:

Blogger Berlinbound said...

Jen ...

I just can't imagine how you have the energy at the end of the day to bake! I have been meaning to try all of your recipes (because each of them leaves my mouth watering and because I produce cooking shows!) but by the end of the day it's all I can do to summon enough energy to take a much needed shower before I crawl between the sheets.

Love your blog - it's a regular part of my day while His Holiness is napping. I am also Real Estate surfing for Berlin/Koln apartments - we don't know yet which city it will be. Any suggestions for good sites welcome.

Thanks again for the great writing and tempting recipes!

best,
Richard

7:08 PM  
Blogger mama jens said...

Hi Richard. Thanks for your nice comment. My favorite site for searching for real estate here is definitely http://www.immobilienscout24.de/ You can search by city and narrow your search down to the kind of place you are looking for. The Tagesspiegel and Berlinermorgenpost newspapers are good too. Then there are the local entertainment guides - Zitty and Tip, but they usually don't have much in the way of real estate listings. Immobilien Scout is the most comprehensive, I'd say. Will you be looking to rent or buy?

And cool that you produce cooking shows! What are the hot cooking shows in the U.S. at the moment? I am so out of touch!

10:00 AM  
Blogger Berlinbound said...

Jen ... If we end up in Berlin we will try to buy - in Cologne probably rental ... I think in either case we will rent until we get established and suss out the cities. All of this is so new ...

Right now a show that we produce is very hot (Daisy Cooks!) a latin cooking show on PBS ... The Food Network is a 24 hour food channel (Was that on when you were here?) and Emeril is still the star ... Nigela is popular and Lidia on PBS (which we used to produce ...) I must admit to not watching TV - we don't even have one in the house...

Thanks for the Real Estate site tip ... I will check it out right away ...

So enjoy your writing - If we move to Berlin (and you're still there) we must have a coffee and kuchen one afternoon.

Best,
Richard

3:45 PM  
Blogger mama jens said...

Great to hear about the cooking shows! I'll have to check them out when we are in the states.

And, yes, when/if you guys get here, we'll have to meet up! It would be great to get His Holiness and Drama Queen Number One together for a playdate too!

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home