Friday, July 08, 2005

Random Bumblings

My favorite topping for pizza is sardines. The craving started with my first pregnancy, and revisited during my second. I still crave them, but I think its waning. It seriously disturbs my husband. He always says things like, "Now why would you want to go and ruin a perfectly good pizza like that?"

This old guy offered my 8 month old baby a lollipop the other day. Fur-reaky.

And I got another good asshole comment today. I get a particularly large number of them in the same location, around SBahn Schönhauser Allee.

It occurred to me last night that there is all kinds of crazy awesome stuff happening in this city. To think that last night there were thousands of people at the Olympic Stadium for the U2 concert, and then a couple of nights before thousands and thousands for the Live 8 concert...its just amazing. I am so out of touch, I tell you. Good ole Mama Jens, at home in her nest, with her thousands of children, sleeping like the sweet little bundles of joy that they are. No drinky drinky. No smoky smoky. Only brownie, milky, sleepy, sleepy. Holy flippin' Jesus.

Speaking of which, here's another recipe I like to call:

Brownies as Good as the Ones from the Package
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup hershey's cocoa (good luck finding this stuff!)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Stir together butter, sugar, and vanilla in a bowl. Add eggs, beat well. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add to egg mixture, beating until well blended. Stir in nuts. Bake 20 to 25 minutes.

But, yeah, we Mama Birds like to keep our nest in order. One night before an early morning departure for a trip, my husband went out to a concert. Normally that is fine and well, but when we have a big trip like that, Mama Bird starts to get a little anxious, if you know what I mean. Well, around midnight, when he WAS NOT HOME YET, I sent him a sweet little sms. When he received it, the friend that was with him said, "Oh, I bet thats ...smsing to ask how the concert is?" And he replied, "No, actually, what she wrote is: It is time to get your white bird ass back to my mother fuckin' nest."

Which reminds me of the big peacocks on the Pfaueninsel at the far western side of Berlin. Whoa. They get rigid and shake and then fan out their enormous set of feathers. I wish I could do that.

Its been raining every afternoon this week. I keep promising my daughter that she can ride her bike home from kita, but then its raining and we have to take the train instead which means Shönhauser Allee which means mean, nasty city people. Arrrrrgg.

Gelato. The one at Kollwitz Platz, next to the little international press stand is the best one I've come across. Any other recommendations on this topic are more than welcomed. I'm always up for a good ice cream cone. They just added a new flavor: erdnuss cookies. WOW WOW!!!! You gotta try it.

Okay, I think I need some sleep. Good night.

1 Comments:

Blogger christina said...

Mmm...great recipe! Of course they're all gone now and the starving masses have requested another batch immediately.

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home