Sunday, June 12, 2005

Kinder Tanz

One of my daughters takes a Kinder Tanz course at a nearby dance school. The class is pretty freestyle, lacking the discipline and structure of hardcore ballet. The school has the vibe of a proper dance school, with a cafe where mamas and papas can drink a coffee while the little ones get some energy out. The teacher, a sort of fairy to the children (and me too), combines movement with rhythm in beautiful imaginary contexts. She's incredible.

There's a great bonus to the place too. My husband, not especially known for his punctuality, occasionally shows up there at precisely 5:45. Why, you ask? To get a good 15 minutes of watching the women get dressed for their adult ballet class which takes place right after our daughter's class. Men are not subtle, my friends. These women, let me tell you, usually don't have any underwear on. They just slip off their clothes, right there in the freakin' parent waiting area, flash their beaves to the universe, and then slip on their dance clothes. Amazing, right? My husband definitely thinks so.

I digress. Anyways, my daughter goes to this dance school. And today, they had a performance. I was so impressed that the teachers of the two classes in the performance were able to organize so many young kids to do what they did. It was truly inspiring. The background (floor and curtains surrounding the stage) were all white, and the children - coming from openings in the curtains all the around the stage - were in bright colored costumes. First, a few girls came out in just white, with shockingly dramatic expressions for five year olds I must add. Then another group, all in bright red came out. There were costume changes, then blue, and yellow, and orange. Each group was choreographed differently and the music and lights set a pace and mood for the performance. Again, we were so impressed with the complexity of the show, especially considering it was a group of such young children. I later asked my daughter how she remembered all the parts, and she said they remembered it by the color they were wearing (they had several outift changes). When they were wearing blue, they did the "blue dance," when wearing orange, "the orange dance," etc. Amazing.

My daughter was so understandably proud to be part of something like that. And, to see her performing what she has worked so hard on over time made me really aware of the fact that she is really growing up. I'll save the really sappy stuff for my personal journal now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home