Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Time for a Mama Outlet

This is a perfect medium. I've been keeping all sorts of journals over the years...why not one more in this new format? Greetings. I am a sleep-deprived, breast-feeding, sugar-addicted mama living in Berlin Prenzlauer Berg. If you know anything about this neighborhood, you know that there are hundreds, thousands, maybe millions of me. There are so many freakin' kids, mamas, papas, and pregnant ladies in this district...the highest birth rate in Europe I tell you. I imagine it must be somewhat surreal to outsiders or newcomers, especially childless ones. We are talkin' kids everywhere - on sidewalks, in parks, in trees, in playgrounds, in lines at ice cream stands...and with the kids comes the paraphernalia - strollers, scooters, bikes, bobby cars, car seats, bike seats, etc., etc. Kollwitz Platz and Helmholtz Platz are plain scary on a sunny day - you have to see it to believe it. Being among those guilty of reproducing on Prenzlauer Berg soil, I must say that its a pretty nice place to raise children, apart from the sometimes disturbing and annoying homogeneity of it all. I'll get more into that later. Time to breastfeed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Berlinbound said...

Found your blog yesterday - so starting from the first (this looks like your first). Great stuff - I look forward to checking regularly ... I have a two year old and will be moving to DE soon ... so value all your observations.
Richard

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home