Thursday, June 02, 2005

Bugahell

The Bugaboo Frog Stroller: http://www.bugaboo.com/uk/newsimage/front3.gif

Heidi Klum has one. Gwyneth Paltrow has one. And now, every fourth mama in Prenzlauer Berg has one. These little fuckers are selling like hotcakes around here, and I am sure designer, Max Barenbrug, is laughing all the way to the bank!

Available in cool colors like black, red, tan, construction-site-warning orange, and even denim (which costs more), the Bugaboo Frog converts in all kinds of crazy ways - something you'll often see mamas showing other mamas on the street. It is just so hard to resist. Like the other day, a British woman approached me and said, "Excuse me, is that one of those Bugaloos?" After trying to mentally recover from the fact that she said "Bugaloo" as opposed to "Bugaboo," I started converting. The handle can go this way or that way there's a bassinette then a seat, and the seat can be positioned here, here, or here, and its lightweight and you can use it until your child is four and you can stroll it on the beach even and and and...

Despite all the ergonomic holistic designistic beauty-meets-functionality craziness, I can't help but feel a sense of embarrassment when walking around with my bugaloo these days. It was cool when it was one-of-a-kind and those queer little front wheels would turn eyes and pique interest, but now its getting a little surreal. They are everywhere, and at nearly 700 euros a pop, it is pretty amazing. But fads just sort of wash over the public around here...thats the homogeneity I was talking about. I got really weirded out the other day while standing at a crosswalk light. I look over, and next to me is a woman with the same color Bugaboo, in the same position, with a baby approximately the same age as mine, wearing the same kind of skirt, flip flops, and sunglasses as me. Fur-reaky!

Okay, it is a cool stroller, but not 700 euros cool. My advice: Unless you are independently wealthy and seriously have nothing better to do other than spend a lot of money, I would consider buying the small, sleek, Chicco umbrella stroller at the cost of about 69 euros once your baby is about 6 or 7 months old and can basically sit up. It would be easier to fit in your car, to get in and out of the subway, and to maneuver in general through the city. And with the remaining 630 euros, you could do one of the following:

1. make a couple of monthly payments on your student loan.
2. take a vacation
3. go out to dinner about 15 times with your family
4. drink about 200 coffees
5. pay rent

1 Comments:

Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

You know, people looked at me in the Straßenbahn last evening because I tried to suppress my laughter so hard I almost fell off my seat. The thing was, in the tram, there was a young family with toddlers who came in with a one of those prams you mentioned. By the next station, another young family came in with the same pram, in the same colour! And the thought about this blog entry of yours just shot across my mind and I started laughing. It was funny! *LOL*

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home