Wednesday, June 08, 2005

German Omas (Again) and Mini Food Processors

These barking Omas are such an unfortunately consistent part of my reality, that I am considering dedicating a daily space for them in my blog. Yesterday, I was waiting for the elevator to go down into the subway with both daughters and my older daughter's friend. There was a German Oma standing with us. For entertainment, while waiting for the elevator, I was watching her eyes dart from one child to the next and then to me, doing her German Oma scanning to figure out what she was going to criticize. The elevator doors opened, but before the children could get on, they started to close again. We pushed the button and the doors reopened, and the German Oma (missing one arm, severely overweight, and walking with a cane) looked at me and yelled "Schnell Doch!" Not wanting my children to see me in a fight with a old, one-armed woman, I, of course, contained myself. What she didn't realize was that she was the only one at that point standing outside the elevator. I should have pressed the close-door button, but I decided to fight back with friendly energy and kept them open instead, inviting the German Oma to a few more pleasant moments with us as we descended down to the subway tracks.

On a happier note, I've acquired a much needed mini food processor to make my own baby food. I am sure the baby food in the jars is just fine, but I am always skeptical of it, mainly because it never quite tastes like whatever is on the label. It also occurred to me that a couple of carrots at the organic food store are only about 15 cents, whereas a jar of baby food is about 1,15 euros. If your child puts it away like mine does, you can see the savings potential here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home