Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Driving My Ass All Over Town

Driving is a major, unavoidable, American past time. Cars are outfitted to that effect...with TVs, DVD players, computers, cup holders, little fridges, etc. You can drive-thru for food, banking, laundry, etc. We could live in the dang things. No problem. They are air-conditioned. They are cozy. You can keep your kids strapped down. Perfect.

And driving here is very different. It is a little like everything has been designed for giants, slow giants. The cars are BIG, the lanes are BIG, the freeways are WIDE, and the shoulders are WIDE. And everything moves SLOOOWWWWLY. No zipping at amazing speeds like I did Mama Taxi Driver style in the big city with all my kids crammed in a teeny car. No flying past the inferiors in the right lane on the autobahn.

First of all, there is no concept of right and left lane here. Trucks will pass you on the left which totally weirds me out. And nothing is zippy. Instead of entering the freeway ready to fly, you just get on there and you sort of float. The lanes are so big that you can even float around in your own lane just for fun if you want. And everyone is going so slowly that you have time to do things like file your nails, put on your make-up, and turn around to make sure your kids are entertained in the back seat, though I wouldn't recommend any of these things. The larger problem I am trying to overcome while driving is sleeping. As soon as I get in the car and start floating, I just want to sleep. I start yawning like crazy and have to slap myself on my cheeks and roll down the window to wake myself up a little. No neurosis there, ladies and gentlemen...I kinda like.

But here's a big problem with the floating - exercise. I can already tell by this lifestyle that Mama Jens' tiny little ass is gonna start growing if she don't get her exercise on. You go home. You sit. You eat. You walk to your car. You sit. You eat. You get out somewhere. You sit. You eat. There is absolutely no mystery as to why there is such a weight problem in the U.S. Sure the food in restaurants and fast food are awful (and taste like cardboard mixed with chemicals and fried in grease), but a huge part of it is the lifestyle and the lack of exercise. In Berlin, I probably lost five pounds every time I went to the bank because I had to haul two kids, groceries, and a stroller over broken sidewalks and obstacle-course-style construction sites just to get there. Everyday life keeps you fit there, no problem. But here, one has to make an effort.

And we are determined to stay fit, damn it.

And on that note, our coolest discovery here so far is that there is a series of paths through the woods that link all parts of the town. You can get around by walking if you want to. Some of the paths are paved and some of them are not. They wind up and down hills, and they are beautiful. We have gone on them a few times and I feel like a real Nature Mama out there. And they are busy...lots of people walking, roller blading, riding bikes. See, America can be cool.

There is also a bus system in town that is FREE. Holy progressive town! We haven't figured out the system yet, but I will and will let you know how it is.

Can we manage to keep our car parked and do the town on bus and foot, using our car only when we need to? Cast your votes today.

Happy Wednesday. Don't drive. Walk.

Love, Mama Jens

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi MJ, cool blog. I went to school in Chapel Hill, so I can imagine what a huge change it is from Berlin.

The car thing you mention is funny -- it was even a big change for me, having moved there from the Northeast. In parking lots for college kids, it was SUVs as far as the eye could see. But if you ever feel the need to get out on the highway and rip, I'd suggest heading out to Wilmington.

The sedentary lifestyle is also tough to avoid, but it is a bit better in Chapel Hill than most other small towns. Chalk that up to the progressiveness, but as far as that goes, I never really forgot I was in the South.

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences there.

2:51 PM  
Blogger J said...

The bus system if free? In the US? No way! The network of paths sounds cool too.

Just curious, how long did you live overseas for?

8:09 PM  
Blogger mama jens said...

Hi Hamish! Thanks for your post! Yeah, the SUVs are pretty crazy. And yes, I'm still aware I am in the south!!

And J, thanks for your post too. I lived in Germany for 9 years this time...but was also there for 5 years as a child.

1:40 AM  
Blogger Andrea M said...

Hi! I have been reading your blog for a bit since you were in Berlin. I was fascinated by it because I just completed the opposite - moved from the US South to Germany. I love reading your adventures! Can't wait to fly through my two years here and get back to the good ole' US (preferably Florida 'cause at least it's warm there!)
Andrea W :)

12:19 PM  
Blogger Berlinbound said...

Jen ...

Writing tonight from Boston and missing Germany. Yes, even now at the very peak of spring with the Marathon just hours away and the Red Sox right down the street.

Home is where the heart is, goes the old saying, and mine is far, far away ...

I'm enjoying your observations of your new life in North Carolina - you are adjusting rapidy - I think it suits you.

Best,
Richard

1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home