Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Bugaboo Update, The Big Move, Closet Ambitions, and Friendly Omas

I can't find much time to do some old fashion blogging. Free time is very limited in Mama Jens' world. During the day when the baby naps or at night when both sleep, there are millions of things to do. My husband doesn't understand why I don't take a nap during the day...hmmm...I wish I could. I really should actually. My little one is awake so much at night these days. She cries, nurses, cries, nurses, nurses, nurses. And I feel (and look) like a train wreck when I wake up from all that. Its a good damn thing she's cute.

A little update on the Bugaboo, or lack thereof... I am pleased to report that we bought the Chicco London stroller over the weekend. I recommended this one way back in another post, and I can recommend it again. It is navy blue, very lightweight, has a reclining seat and a little footrest that goes up for when the baby falls asleep, and a basket on the bottom for your groceries, rejected pieces of apple, small carpets you find on the sidewalk, etc. Another perk is that it folds up small enough to fit in a car that is filled to the brim with a bunch of other shit, so that is quite nice too. That was kind of always a pain with the Bugaboo. And, it was only 84 euros (only 69 $ in the U.S.). It handles the Berlin obstacle-course style sidewalks well, and I enjoy carrying it up and down ubahn stairs, as it only makes my back hurt a little.

As for the Bugaboo, we were pretty convinced we caught the Big Ass Thief. We found a Bugaboo on Ebay that went up the same night ours got stolen and it didn't come with all the stuff it should have. We followed up and it turns out it wasn't ours. But, beware, Thief, we are checking every black Bugaboo that comes up on Ebay. We filed a police report too, which was a surprizingly easy and pleasant process. My husband just filled out this online form, and the next morning we got a follow-up call from the police, telling us they had our report and that Herr So and So was assigned to our case. Amazing, eh?

So, today, I started the excavation process on our closet. Holy freakin' hell. I learned a couple of things: First, we wear about 1% of our clothes. Two, my husband does not buy new clothes. And three, we're gonna need a dumpster for this project. We seriously have the same articles of clothing in there with which we came to Germany over 8 years ago. Some of the things even pre-date that move, meaning college, early 90's. Because of that fact, they have earned the respected title of "nostalgic retro items" and have been placed in the memorabilia pile.

And three more items of furniture have found new homes. Boy is this place gonna be empty soon. Yeehoo! Though we are doing this because we are moving in March, I would recommend it just for fun as well.

And I am starting to compile my list of "things I will miss and things I won't miss" list. It is a very strange feeling to be approaching this space of being inbetween lives. It has been so long since we lived in the U.S. and we are, in many ways, not too sure what life will be like there. We are very scared that we will get there and realize we have made a terrible, no good, very bad mistake. So, when we have those moments, we just go through the reasons why we are deciding to do this again, and conclude that it will all be fine. I think if we were going to a big city (NY, LA, SF), we would be a little more confident. But instead, we have opted for a smallish, very liberalish, university town, thinking that for the children it will be a better setting in which to grow up. The dirty, busy, loud, grey city setting is super when you're young and single and free and can actually go out at night. But with kids, its just sometimes plain stressful, and that is being said in a city that is actually pretty good when it comes to being child-friendly.

Man, is this random today or what?

On that note, I have to say that I have a few closet ambitions. Well, these aren't really ambitions as much as things I know I'd be pretty good at. One is to be a short-order cook. I am Speedy Mama Jens when it comes to whipping up meals in 0 to 60 seconds, and I think I'd be pretty good at something like that. It is a genetic thing, I think. Our family likes to cook, cook fast, and plan the next meal before the one being eaten is finished. The other thing I know I'd be good at is driving a taxi. (I bet that one threw you off), putting aside sense of direction of course. I am Racecar Mama Jens, zipping around the city like a flippin' bunny rabbit. I would love something like a Smart car. And then there is the Mama Jens Realtor Extraordinaire. I have this little obssession I have when it comes to real estate. It doesn't help that we are moving and will be looking at houses. I love houses, apartmnents, living spaces of all kinds. I could look at real estate until the cows come home. When I go to a foreign city, all I really want to do is hook up with a realtor and go looking at apartments. And then there is the whole Martha Stewart thing. Let's face it, Martha rocks. I think am her sometimes. We even have the same haircut. Big difference though is that when I burn something I say, "Fucking hell!" whereas she might say something like "Whoopsie Daisy!" Though now that I think about it, she probably says "fucking hell" too. She is a first rate criminal afterall, so there must be a little punk rock deep down in there.

And speaking of Martha Stewart, yesterday, my older daughter and I went to a hobby shop around the corner to gather supplies to make rubber stamps. The little one was all bundled, sleeping in her stroller. There was an older woman hovering around her, with a non-specific expression on her face. I thought, "Oh lordy, here we go. I'm gonna get a lecture from this Oma since I am doing something wrong, as usual." My mind started doing its Catholic thing. Oh no, she is too bundled. The snow suit, hat, scarf, blanket, and wool sack are too much. She is hot. She is overheating. Look, her cheeks are all red. Is she breathing? But then, I thought, "Oh, screw her (the old lady, I mean). She can make whatever comment she wants, bee-atch." So, I kept to my rubber stamping, and tried to ignore the hovering, the leaning close in, the peering under the glasses. After I paid, and was on my way to the door, she approached me. I got ready for my retort. She tapped me on the shoulder. She looked me straight in the eye. She held up her hand with that pointer and middle finger to thumb gesture, and she said, very dramatically, "Belllllisssssimaa!!!" I responded with a look of shock and confusion followed by a big proud smile. She said it again, loudly and whole heartedly, "Bellllissssimaaaa!!!!" I wanted to hug her and tell her my people were from Sicily and invite her over for pasta.

Have a nice Wednesday!

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I have to say that I stumbled upon your blog last week and I am hooked. I won't get my hopes up but I love your entries.

Today's was wonderful, but I feel like I have a sadness in me that you are moving from Germany to go back to the states. I think I will always wish I could be in Europe, but Canada is where I stay.

At any rate, I do hope your sleeping patterns get better as your little one grows. I'm guessing you guys are settling into the East Coast somewhere just because I can't imagine a small town university city anywhere that I grew up on the west coast.

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi mama jens, Out surfing for information on boils & happened upon your site. While Bugaboo Update, The Big Move, Closet Ambitions, and Friendly Omas wasn't exactly spot on, it did strike a note with me. Thank you for the really good read.

4:18 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Well, I happen to think you HAVE made the right decision. Germany is just not the best place to raise children these days and the U.S. has so much more to offer and endless opportunities that you just won't find here. Looking at the awful school system and the way children are totally undervalued, I sometimes wonder what kind of future my kids have here, but moving isn't an option for us right now. My husband has job security until 2010 and then we'll see...

I can totally picture you as a taxi-driving, real-estate-selling short- order cook!

The sleeping will get so much better as your little one gets older.

And what a nice Oma experience for a change. They're not all out to get us. :-)

10:00 AM  
Blogger mama jens said...

Hi Expat! Thanks for your comment. I'm glad you like the blog!! Yes, we are going to the east coast- Chapel Hill. We only visited once for two days, so we are in for an adventure in many ways. From what we have read about it, I think we will like it there.

11:15 AM  
Blogger mama jens said...

Hi Christina! Thanks for the reassurance! Though we have our moments of doubt, I think we have made the right decision too. Things all just seem to be pointing in that direction.

So do you think you and your family might move to Canada one day?

11:17 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Mama Jens - if we could we'd move right away. Back to Vancouver where I'm from. It's really a question of money, jobs, getting credentials recognized etc, otherwise we'd be outta here in a second. Just waiting for the planets to align. :-)

I know nothing about Chapel Hill - must go check it out...

11:03 PM  
Blogger mama jens said...

Hi Andrew. Good point on the Bugaboo/Ebay thing. Of course we're gonna check Ebay, so the the dumb ass thief would have to be really frickin' dumb to go and try to sell it on Ebay. And, yeah, the Chiccos rock.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Berlinbound said...

Wonderful Post MJ ... I've been missing your blog - but haven't had a connection. This morning is our first in the new apartment (still tmeporary but out of Oma's) in Koln ... and I founf a high-speed unprotected wireless connection - I'll probably be flooded with viruses but hell the price is right and why do I have Anti-Virus anywya if not for this? I loved reading about your move - having just completed the reverse commute... Damn I wish we had lived iun the same place at the same time - you sound like one heck of a gal ... Martha Stewart and all.

And Christina - I so hope you are wrong about raising kids in Germany. I must say that my initial impressions of Koln are super. The people are friendly, there is a good network of child-friendly businesses and activities and compared to Manhattan - this is like living in a bustling, cosmopolitan (but manageable) city ... I'm feeling optimistic!

6:43 AM  
Blogger Andrea M said...

Hi, I just found your blog today and I could relate to a lot of things! We (will be 4 year old son and dh) are moving to Bonn in Feb for 2 years. I have been searching for other expats to talk to, ask questions of, and speak english with! I have yet to start my Learn German course. I saw another part of your blog where you talk about the bugaboo. I so can relate. I have been through 25 strollers in less than 4 years. So much so that I joined a Yahoo strollergroup to meet other crazys like me.
Anyway, I'd love to email or find other mamma's doing the expat thing too.
Thanks!
Andrea W :)
momof1squirt.blogspot.com/

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home